Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Tuesday 6 May 2014

Making posters

As well as putting together all of the pages, I've also been working on creating some large illustrations to act as posters/large prints for the wall at the exhibition.

I am planning on using an image of the fairytale world, as well as one illustration for each of the six stories. However the character drawings that I have done so far are too small and not detailed enough to work as posters so I've been re-doing a couple of them.

So far I've completed the one for Hansel & Gretel and made a start on the one for Snow White. I read through my dummy book and picked out a snippet of both of the stories that I like the most. For Hansel & Gretel it was the image of them walking hand in hand, and for Snow White its the moment on page 3 where she meets the 7 dwarves:


Luckily I already had a larger version of the Hansel & Gretel image form earlier in the project when I was working on character designs. I put them in some scenery and added colour to the image and this is the result:



For Snow White I re-drew the characters at a larger scale with a little more detail in their clothing and faces. I also changed the back-drop slightly so the "shy" dwarf is peering round a tree as opposed to the edge of the castle, and they are standing in a little clearing in the woodlands.
I've not finished adding colour to this one yet but this is how it looks so far:


These are the sections of the story that I will be using for the other 4 stories:
Cinderella: meeting her Prince at the ball
Red Riding Hood: Her first encounter with the wolf
Sleeping beauty: Asleep in the tower with the 2 birds
Rapunzel: The prince climbing up her hair


I'll be working on these in between adding colour to the pages, however the pages are currently the most important as they need to be printed as soon as possible in order to bind the book. But I would hopefully like to be able to print everything in one go so am aiming to get these done by next monday when I go to the photography room to print the pages.