Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Work in Progress Meeting

 This morning we has a quick Work in Progress meeting to check we were all on track after the break. As always its nice to see what everyone else is doing and to get feedback from tutors. Louise seemed pleased with how my work is looking, and said it was all coming together well (this was the first time she had seen anything put together or coloured). She agreed with the choice of a dark coloured line, but said that the use of textures isn't necessarily needed, although it was difficult to show her that part as I was using my laptop with a small screen. The textures are quite a quick addition to the images, so I will continue to add them for now and then decide later whether or not to keep them.

So this is now the finalised style and palette that I will be using to colour my images (although the foliage will vary throughout the book as the seasons change):


I've also now finished putting together page 12 of the book, where all the characters come together at a ball in the palace:


All of the "good" characters can be seen on this final page (including the birds and butterflies), all in their couples apart from the seven dwarves who are spread across the image. The only new character in this image is the Prince of the Palace who is standing at the bottom of the stairs greeting Cinderella (this is the first time they meet). The characters will all be coloured in the same way that they appear on page 1 (except for Cinderella who has changed her dress), but the foliage will now be bright greens and yellows.

And this is an adjusted version of the image which I'll be colouring slightly differently to the above images and using as my contribution to the Hullabaloo Degree Show Catalog:


I've made a start on colouring these 2 images in and will be continuing with that this afternoon before I start on the other pages tomorrow and for the rest of the week.