Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Thursday 17 April 2014

Tutorial with Jonny

Today I went into uni for a tutorial with Jonny, as I wanted to discuss the ideas I had for colouring my work before I go away for Easter.
I showed him the examples that I had done earlier this week and we discussed which ones would work best. Jonny liked the different uses of texture in the images, so thats definitely something I will be using in the final work. He also liked the examples where I had used different coloured lines for each element but said that some of the lines were too pale and the darker colours were more successful. So next I will be trying to use different colours in the lines but making them several shades darker than I have been so far (and continuing to use the textures too).
Another suggestion he had was to stick to just the one colour line across the whole image, but change the colour of the line per page along with the seasons. I'll be trying this out as well but I think it might be difficult to use dark colours that suit all of the seasons (e.g. Spring tends to be represented by pastel colours).

We also discussed my portfolio and I showed him what I had put together so far. I think I am now pretty  much settled on which pieces of work I will be using, except for adding in a few pieces from the current project once its finished. That will most likely be one or two double-page spreads from the book, and Jonny also recommended including several of the character illustrations (so far I only have one at the beginning) as they are some my stronger pieces of work.