Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Friday 11 April 2014

Finding Inspiration

This week's Finding Inspiration post is focusing on the use of colour palettes in illustration, and helping me to get some ideas on what sort of palette I may want to use in my work.


The slightly muted colours in this one would compliment the idea of traditional fairytales, as its not too modern or bold.

This one is really bright and colourful which is great for children. For a palette like this I would restrict myself to about 10 colours to avoid going too far and over doing it.

Both of these images use a very muted colour palette with the addition of a bold red to pick out certain elements. Red is a recurring theme in several of the fairytales (Red Riding Hood's cape. Snow White's apple etc.) so it is well suited to my illustrations, however its also quite common and I think I might like to try something different like the more colourful palettes in the examples above.