Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Work in Progress meeting

This morning we had a work in progress meeting with Jonny.
I normally struggle to talk about my work but this time it went quite well (partly because I was unexpectedly asked to go first so I didn't have time to get nervous!). Jonny seemed quite pleased with what I've done so far and had just a few suggestions to work on:

- Add settings.
(I'll be going to the New Forest next week to do some observational drawings of woodlands and cottages etc. so that will help with this one)

- Draw the characters in action/interacting as opposed to just in the middle of the page.
(I've started to do that yesterday with the costume designs and will be carrying on with it this week)

I also talked about some of the ideas I have for the narrative, and he suggested trying to get some of them drawn as soon as possible, just to get a visual of something finished early on in the project.
His suggestion was to draw Red Riding Hood dropping an apple (as I mentioned that I had the idea that she could drop the apple that the Evil Queen later poisons for Snow White to eat), which I drew this afternoon whilst I was in the studio:

The proportions aren't great in this illustration and it needs a bit of editing, but it was good to make a start on actually illustrating the narrative, and I'll probably be carrying on with these this week.