Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Thursday 13 February 2014

Tutorial with Louise

This morning I had a tutorial with my personal tutor, Louise, to discuss how my project was going so far.

These are the main points that she made:
- Continue to work on characterisation
- Design costumes
- Think about making the final book pages also work as posters
- Use textures in the final images
- Continue to draw from life as much as possible
- Storyboard the pages before making the illustrations, plan out where each character will fit in the scene.

The main point that Louise made was that the use of animals for the characters will only work if I make sure the costumes truly represent the characters. I have already started to look at costumes for the characters, and how they have been portrayed in film and television (I have a Pinterest board where I have collected some inspiration). So far I am quite inspired by some of the costumes used on the show Once Upon a Time, as they have a "fairytale-esque" feel to them without being over the top or tacky.

Costume Inspiration
I will be continuing to research the costumes over the next week or so in between drawing the animals.
I also need to make sure that the characters have a bit of personality and facial expressions rather than being quite plain-faced as the ones I have done so far are, although this should change quite easily as I develop them. 

Drawing from life is something I will definitely be continuing to do where possible, and I am planning on visiting the New Forest in the next two weeks in order to draw scenery such as trees and cottages, as well as hopefully a few more sketches of the deer (for the Princesses).

All of the other points that Louise made are for a bit later on in the project when I am starting to develop my illustrations into final outcomes, so I will be looking back at those when I reach that stage.