Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Friday 14 February 2014

The Characters

My main aim for the week was to decide on what animals I am going to use for all of the characters and then to begin drawing them.
I spent a little bit of time researching the symbolising of various animals and trying to match them to the characters' personalities, and this is the final list that I have come up with:

Briar-Rose: Deer/Elk
Good Fairies: Colourful birds
Evil Fairy: Crow
Snow White: Reindeer
Evil Queen: Lion
Seven Dwarves: Rabbits
Red Cap: Deer
Big Bad Wolf: Keep as a wolf
Rapunzel: Giraffe
Enchantress: Peacock
Hansel & Gretel: Monkeys
Witch: Hyena
Cinderella: Antelope
Fairy Godmother: Blue Bunting (colourful bird)
Cinderella's Prince: Dog
Briar's Prince: Dog
Prince Charming: Dog (Huskie?)
Rapunzel's Prince: Dog
Briar's failed Princes: Dogs
Hansel & Gretel's Duck: Change to swan
Huntsman: Bear

I have tried to keep a bit of consistency in that all of the princesses are some form of deer (representing love, peace etc.), and all of the princes are a breed of dog (representing loyalty, faithfulness etc.). Each one will have different characteristics though, for example varying patterns on the face, different shaped ears or different coloured costumes.
Some of these choices may change as I begin to develop the illustrations but they have been a good starting point for me to begin drawing:

Initial characters drawings for Snow White & the 7 dwarves