Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Wednesday 26 February 2014

Self Promotion ideas

Yesterday afternoon the Self Promotion unit was launched. We are required to produce a piece of self promotion material, be that in the form of a book, a folded poster, badges, beer mats etc. We are only required to produce 10 copies but it needs to be something that can easily produced in runs of up to 100 in the future.
I've had an idea of what I would like to do, incorporating it into my FMP work.
I'm really enjoying working on character design at the moment so would like to do something involving that, and I also like the idea of it being in the form of a book.
This is my idea so far:


I'm thinking of creating a small book out of an A3 sheet of paper (the kind where you fold it into 8 sections, and cut down the middle of the paper to create the pages), which when unfolded reveals a poster on the back. On each page there will be an illustration of a character from my project, and the big illustration on the back will be something along the lines of a storybook containing my contact details and a few spot illustrations.
The working title I have for it is "Heroes, Villains and Fairy-Godmothers". This was inspired by a quote from the TV show 'Once Upon a Time' I've been watching where a main character refers to himself and several other characters collectively as "heroes, villains, pirates".
The book will probably be printed digitally as I want to include quite a lot of colour in it so screen-printing may not be as practical, but they may change in the next week or so.
To begin with I'm just going to continue to design my characters for the FMP, and then at the weekend I'll look at what I've got and start to put something together.