Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Thursday 6 February 2014

Initial Research



Initial research notes.
After my tutorial with Derek on monday I have started to conduct some research into the Grimms' fairytales.
After reading through the list of Grimms' fairytales I have chosen to focus my work on the following six stories:
Cinderella, Hansel & Gretel, The Little Briar-Rose, Little Red Cap, Rapunzel, Little Snow White.

I am using some of the most well known stories as I feel that if I am going to be combining the stories together as part of my outcome, then they characters and story-lines will need to be easily recognisable. I hope to also look a little at some of the other stories and perhaps use a few elements form them in my work.

So far I have looked at the Grimms' version of each of these stories, as well any other popular versions such as Disney. I've made notes on the plots of these versions and will be choosing which elements to use form which versions in my work (most likely somewhere in between the dark, macabre versions by the Grimms, and the romantic magical disney versions).

I have also made notes of all the main characters that I'll need to include in order to conduct some research into which animals would be suitable to use. And with the help of the SurLaLune fairytales website, I've looked at any symbolic imagery that is used within the stories, as well as any significant quotes or descriptions. I've ordered a book entitled The Annotated Brother's Grimm to help me with this project, and that should be arriving on monday so I'll have plenty to read next week in between drawings.

I will be continuing my research over the next few days and then heading to the zoo on Sunday to start drawing the animals.