Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Friday 28 February 2014

Finding Inspiration

A few of the things that have been inspiring me this week:


1. I bought this book, Maps by Aleksandra Mizielinska, a few months ago and I really love the style of it. Although I won't be specifically drawing maps, I think I may use a similar kind of layout for my work, as I think its quite a good way of fitting a lot into one scene.

2. This style of typography is quite often used in traditional style books for the first letter of a chapter and it always reminds me of fairytales. Whilst I probably own't be needing anything like this in my work, I do like the use of organic, swirling shapes.
  
3. I like the style of these trees; they still use the sort of pattern detailing that I like, but in a slightly looser style, which might be quite useful for my work.

4. I'm still really inspired by Isabel Greenberg's work, especially now that I've found out that she's illustrated a couple of fairytales herself. I really like the limited colour here and am hoping to make something similar work in my illustrations.