Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Friday 21 February 2014

Finding Inspiration

Here are a few of the things that are inspiring me this week:


1. I really like the gothic typography used in some of the books of Grimms' fairytales. I probably won't be using much typography in this project but I'll at least be needing some for the book covers.

2. I wrote about Kay Nielsen's illustrations in my dissertation (all about the use of pattern and decoration within illustration) and so kept them in my mind when looking for inspiration for this project. Nielsen uses a lot of decorative elements in his work so I find them quite inspiring. This one is for Hansel and Gretel, I love the detail in the gingerbread house and the way the trees act as a frame around it.

3. I love the use of anthropomorphism in this illustration by Belen Segarra, as well as the patterned details and the limited colour palette. I didn't notice straight away but the character is holding a small deer which is also printed on the clothing, I'm not sure exactly why this was done but it may be a clever way of using allegory in an illustration and something I could consider doing.