Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Monday 10 February 2014

Finding Inspiration

These are a few of the things I've found this week that are keeping me inspired.


1. Grimms' fairytales book cover by Tess Redburn.
I love the way that Tess Redburn had her design laser-cut into wood (and then photographed for a book cover), I think it adds a really rustic feel to the image. 

2. Grimms' fairytales book cover by Naomi Wilkinson.
I really like the simplicity of this design and the way that it tells a sort of narrative in one image (something I aim to do in my final outcome). I also love the limited yet bold colour scheme here.

3. Illustration by Budi Satria Kwan.
I love the combination of several elements within one image, adding a fantastical, magical feel to the work. I may use something similar to this in my work, but perhaps in a more subtle way with shapes in shadows and/or reflections.

4. Screenshot of credits from Tangled the movie.
Whilst I was drawing over the weekend I watched a few movies based on various Grimms' fairytales to keep me inspired, including Tangled (based on the story of Rapunzel). I really liked the end credits and the way they were illustrated, with a sort of map showing all the locations within the film. This is the sort of layout I am thinking of using in some of my images in order to fit in lots of different story-lines.