Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Reflecting on Negotiated Study

 Before I get started on my final major project, I'm taking a quick look back at my most recent project to see what went well and what went wrong, to hopefully help me out with ideas for the new work.

For my negotiated study project (a self-initiated project where we were required to set our own brief) I chose to produce a series of illustrations based on one of the books from the reading list entitled 'The Science Chef Travels the World'. Its a cook-book for children filled with a variety of recipes from countries around the World. The main aim of the project was to depict the recipe and its origin in the form of a poster.
Below are my final five posters:


Posters based on recipes for:
Quiche L'orraine, West African Peanut Soup, Southwestern Ontario Fruit Salad,  Paella, Mocha flavoured cupcakes.

Below is a selection of pages from my sketchbooks. The first few weeks of the project were spent drawing a long list of ingredients and utensils to use in the recipes. Some of these sketchbook pages ended up being printed onto the backs of the posters in a colour that co-ordinated with the design on the front.


Overall I was reasonably pleased with the outcome of the project, particularly the Quiche poster (First image in this post) as I feel it has the strongest layout and colour palette. The final posters were much more successful than the initial ones which had a lot more empty space, and no elements relating to the recipe's country. My final mark for this project was a B2, and I received these suggestions in my feedback:

- More variation in lines (thickness etc.)
- Make the colour less precise or more offset.
- Experiment further with type
- Perhaps print onto other textures such as wood?

I will be keeping these suggestions in mind when I begin my FMP, particularly the suggestions about line thickness and typography. I plan to try using a brush and ink to draw with rather than a fine-liner which should help me to vary the weight of the lines whilst still drawing in my own detailed style. I will also be including the use of type in my project in some way to allow me to experiment with various fonts and styles.